Interracial Relationships

James and I have been together for one year and in honour of such I thought that I would describe my experiences of being in an interracial relationship.

Pros:
  • Learning a new language (this applies to J more than me)
  • When we both went to Diwali Ball
  • We get to try new cultural experiences together such as trying out new cuisine and visiting each other's place of origin

The Chilli Paneer at Sakonis
  • Becoming more aware. We can all have our misconceptions about people but it is only when you are with them that you realise that they are the same as you, from the close familial relationships we both share to liking the same things.

Cons:
  • Do we go for a traditional Church, white dress wedding? Or do we go for an Indian wedding complete with the red sari and the elephants?
  • Despite both sets of families knowing English, communication with the older generation of the family can be a little bit difficult with the language barrier
  • Some people can find it hard to understand. I have had a family member say that if I was his daughter, he would have broken my legs. We have also had 'friends' throwing around racial slurs for a cheap bit of banter. Luckily, this is something that we have hardly encountered in our relationship. I am aware that many interracial couples get stared at when they go out together in public, are called horrible names and are disowned by their respective families amongst facing many more struggles. In the UK, interracial relationships are common and so people seem to be very understanding.

Let me know your thoughts on interracial relationships...



Interracial Relationships Interracial Relationships Reviewed by Roshni P. on September 12, 2017 Rating: 5

No comments:

Thank you for commenting! I try and reply to them all-if you asked a question, check back for a reply ♥

Powered by Blogger.